Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Songs about Dune

I've been checking out the podcast The Sword and Laser. I became aware of these guys some time ago when Veronica Belmont was on This Week in Tech, and I decided to check them out and see what things were like elsewhere in the online sci fi/fantasy reading neighborhood.

I feel compelled to call this the online sci fi/fantasy book club neighborhood, but I don't really constitute a book club, being only one person. However, if any of you want to start reading whatever book I'm working on and discuss it with me, then please feel free to do so. I would gladly turn this into the 149 novels book club.

On Sword and Laser they read Dune a few months ago, and are still talking about it a bit in the podcasts I listened to. I suppose I could go back and listen to the podcast where they discussed Dune, but it did not automatically load onto iTunes when I added their podcast, and the iPod is generally my main vehicle of podcast listening. Anyway, they are still talking about it, and also talking about music that is inspired by sci fi and fantasy. Among the many songs mentioned is a parody tune called "I'm the Kwisatz Haderach" by Abner Senires. Give it a listen - pretty funny stuff.

Also discussed in the same podcast is the song "To Tame a Land" by Iron Maiden which is also about Dune, and some history on that song. Check it out, it also has a lot of information (and spoilers) about George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones: S&L #021. The internet is abuzz with George R. R. Martin these days, who in case you didn't know, is not your bitch. As someone blogging about fantasy novels, it is mandatory that I mention this.

Unfortunately, he is not on the list. One day, I may have to take a hiatus from the list to read his stuff. People seem to like it quite a lot. The interesting thing about doing this blog is that I've learned about all these other things I want to read, but many of them are not on the list. This makes me think about the direction this will go in the future. I'm bound to finish all these books eventually, and when I do I may keep this blog going and just talk about the stories I was inspired to read by these stories.

1 comment:

  1. Never thought I'd say it... but I kinda disagree with Neil here. Maybe it's because I (formerly) loved Martin's series. It was fantastic. Note the past tense. Martin is not working for me, true, but neither am I obligated to put up with a five and counting year wait for the next book in the series. I'm done waiting. I'm not buying another until the series is officially finished.

    Here's where I think the balance is. As a writer, I know sometimes its impossible to get something out on time. Writer's block, family events, whatever. However, when you write a series, you do have some obligation to those who read it. They paid money for your books, meaning they in effect pay your salary. Thus they do, in fact, have some investment in your work. You should do your best to get the next book out, with the understanding that sometimes writing comes slowly.

    Where George R. R. Martin really annoys me is that, while we've been waiting for the next book in the series, he's published two other novels and edited or contributed to many other works. I do not believe that he has any real interest in the Game of Thrones story any more. He's obviously got other things to do.

    So instead of spending my money on a series that may never be finished -- like the Wheel of Time series never will be finished by the original author -- I'm done. I'm not paying my minor part of his salary anymore. I'm not going to go onto his site and gripe at him, but neither do I recommend his books to anyone anymore. I used to, all the time.

    So there it is. He might not "owe" his readers... but he might want to think about keeping them instead of driving them away.

    -- Carey

    ReplyDelete