Wednesday, February 18, 2009

It begins.

This weekend, I started reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick. I've now officially started reading from the list.

I bought this novel a couple of months ago before the list was published, before I'd thought to take on a huge list of novels to read. I had a gift card to Barnes and Noble, and I was trying to decide between this and Dune by Frank L Herbert. I read the first chapter of Electric Sheep, and went with that.

As anyone who would take the time to read this blog probably knows, these are both sci-fi novels that have well known sci-fi films attributed to them. I've seen both films, and I often like to read the book that a film I watched is based upon. As you may have also noticed if you have checked out the list that I have committed to read, Dune is also on the list. So despite my decision that day in the bookstore, I will read it as well, eventually.

As for the title of the film (which is also the title on the cover of my little paperback - the actual title is in parentheses in small print under the words Blade Runner), I can understand why they changed it. Blade Runner sounds like an exciting sci-fi/action film that Harrison Ford would star in, and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? sounds like a movie that Michel Gondry would direct. I suspect, however, that the words "blade" and "runner" are not going to appear adjacent to one another at any time in this novel.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment